Shopee, the leading e-commerce platform in Southeast Asia and Taiwan, launches its annual 11.11 Big Sale. This comes off the back of its successful 9.9 and 10.10 shopping events, which reflects a continued strong growth of e-commerce in the region. This 11.11, Shopee further commits to create a positive impact to uplift communities, create new opportunities for sellers and brands, and create stronger shared experiences for shoppers, as part of its broader vision to make e-commerce for everyone. In Singapore, Shopee will also partner with local actor, Wang Weiliang, who will be the face of the 11.11 Big Sale alongside local brand ambassador, Phua Chu Kang.
The partnership reinforces Shopee’s continued commitment to uniting local communities, and is another step forward in establishing deeper connections and resonating with local audiences. Wang Weiliang’s down-to-earth, comedic personality appeals to many, and he has become a prominent figure in Singapore’s popular culture. His knack for sharing attractive deals and discounts with his fellow recruits correlates closely with Shopee’s primary objective to introduce the best collection of deals, entertainment, and engagement to shoppers this 11.11.
Zhou Junjie, Chief Commercial Officer at Shopee said, “E-commerce has made a profound impact on many of our lives and especially so this year. This 11.11, Shopee will strengthen our efforts to ensure that the benefits and opportunities of e-commerce are shared with everyone, while bringing local communities closer together. We are excited to bring Wang Weiliang on board for 11.11 together with Phua Chu Kang, as we continue to build on our hyper-localised approach to engage local audiences. We are fortunate to be at the forefront of this transformation in our region, and want to continue creating new livelihoods for local sellers and entrepreneurs, new ways for people to shop and connect, and new paths to success for businesses.”
In line with Shopee’s vision to make e-commerce for everyone, Shopee will deepen support for communities, businesses, and consumers this 11.11 and beyond.
1. Creating impact for communities
Leveraging our ecosystem to support underprivileged children
As a homegrown platform, Shopee will deepen its commitment to uplifting local communities with the launch of 11.11 Big Charity, a regional charity drive to raise awareness and donations for underprivileged children in the region. It reflects Shopee’s belief that all individuals, particularly children and youth, should have the opportunity to succeed in the future digital economy.
11.11 Big Charity will take place in each of Shopee’s Southeast Asian markets, supported by trusted social organisations, leading celebrities, and the biggest brands in Southeast Asia. In Singapore, Shopee has partnered Community Chest to support underprivileged children facing economic hardships under the KidSTART programme. Shopee will launch a dedicated microsite for 11.11 Big Charity where users can donate to the organisation with their Shopee Coins. Shopee will match donations made by users, and partners including LEGO, Colgate, and Hasbro will also match donations in the form of toys and other essentials.
2. Creating opportunities for all businesses
Unlocking e-commerce for sellers, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), and brands
The growth of e-commerce in Southeast Asia and Taiwan has created new opportunities for sellers, SMEs and brands. This trend is reflected on Shopee, as the number of sellers on the platform increased by 60% year-on-year.
This has created greater diversity in the region’s e-commerce landscape, with aspiring and experienced sellers seeking to grow their businesses online. This means that there is no one-size-fits-all approach, as sellers face unique challenges at different stages of their digital journey. Shopee has widened its spectrum of support measures to help all sellers succeed:
- Helping new and existing sellers overcome a global pandemic: Over 300,000 sellers, SMEs, and entrepreneurs in the region signed up for Shopee’s Seller Support Package within the first month of launch in April. New sellers also enjoyed 6 times sales growth during Shopee’s 9.9 Super Shopping Day in September. Shopee partnered with Calista and DBS in Singapore to offer SME financing for local sellers. Shopee also teamed up with Enterprise Singapore on the E-Commerce Booster Package, and with IMDA on the Digital Resilience Bonus to provide sellers with additional funding.
- Upgrading Shopee University to empower diverse groups of local sellers: Shopee has enhanced its Shopee University programme, including digitalising the curriculum with video courses available on our Seller Education Hub so that all sellers can level up their e-commerce skills. In Singapore, Shopee conducts weekly webinar sessions on various topics such as Shopee Ads and Business Insights to educate sellers on how to best utilise these tools.
Shopee also helped local and international brands connect and engage with the region’s digital-first shoppers. In 2020, Shopee has co-created 600 Super Brand Days with brands such as Disney, Samsung, and L’Oreal, who trust Shopee to grow their online presence and sales. The recent 10.10 Brands Festival also generated strong traction for brand partners, as traffic surged 2.5 times on Shopee Mall compared to an average day.
3. Creating shared experiences
Forging communities, reinventing social shopping on Shopee
Shopee will continue to connect, inform, and inspire consumers across the region. Users can explore similar interests and discover better deals through Shopee’s shopping communities, while enjoying a more social shopping experience with Shopee’s enhanced in-app features.
Through communities like Shopee’s Mum’s Club, Shopee connects like-minded consumers and caters to their online needs. With over 1.5 million members on Shopee’s Mum’s Club, mothers in the region enjoy one-stop access to all of the top global brands for baby products including Pampers, Enfa, and Nestle, as well as exclusive parenting content from mothers and experts on Shopee. For a new generation of digital luxury consumers, Shopee recently launched Shopee Premium, an exclusive destination offering direct access to authentic premium products, while allowing consumers to better understand the brands.
In Singapore, 11.11 Big Sale will run from 21 October to 11 November. During this period, users can enjoy Million $ Discount deals, 30% cashback, and 20% off vouchers. Shopee also enhanced its collection of popular in-app features to make online shopping even more social, fun, and rewarding:
- Save more with Shopee Rewards: An in-app loyalty programme that lets users earn exclusive vouchers and savings by unlocking new reward tiers upon achieving various shopping milestones.
- Enhanced social features: Shopee has upgraded its iconic in-app features to better connect sellers, brands, and users at 11.11 Big Sale. On Shopee Live, new auction and polling features will make the live shopping experience even more engaging. Shopee Feed has also been upgraded with live video “Stories”, for real-time engagement between users.
Zhou closed, “Shopee 11.11 Big Sale is our way of transforming a global phenomenon into one that truly belongs to our region. It continues the strong momentum of our successful 9.9 and 10.10 shopping events, and reinforces our commitment and long-term vision to transform the lives of people and businesses we serve. Join us as we make e-commerce for everyone at 11.11 this year.”
For more information about Shopee 11.11 Big Sale, visit https://shopee.sg/11-11.