Razer unveils the Razer Phone 2
Razer has announced the successor to its Razer Phone called the Razer Phone 2.
It is no surprise that the upgrades to this year’s flagship are still focused on the gaming experience with minor updates in other areas.
According to Razer, the Razer Phone 2 will perform “up to 30 per cent better than its predecessor”, which is due to the “combination of the latest flagship components and thermal cooling solutions.”
Common issues surrounding mobile gaming are the inconsistency of performance causing in-game lags and overheating.
With a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 and the Qualcomm Adreno 630 (GPU), Razer said that the Razer Phone 2 would “blitz through the most demanding apps.”
To enhance the upgraded performance, Razer also added in the Razer vapour chamber cooling system.
The vapour chamber has a large surface area, which allows the heat to spread and dissipate more easily to accommodate the phone’s high frame rate of 120Hz.
Co-founder and CEO of Razer Inc, Tan Min-Liang said:
“The first Razer Phone disrupted the smartphone industry and created a new category. With the Razer Phone 2, we have pulled out the stops to define flagship and gaming on our terms.”
Updates to the camera
One of the few upgrades this year that’s non-gaming is the camera, which is one of the important aspects of smartphones these days.
The Razer Phone 2 now has a new dual rear camera setup that houses a 12MP wide-angle lens with optical image stabilisation and a 12MP telephoto lens with a 2x zoom.
Razer also added in the Sony IMX sensors to up their game in photography with the Razer Phone 2 for low noise images and a wide gamut of colours.
Dual front-facing speakers
The front-facing speakers of the Razer Phone 2 have also been upgraded and now, with Dolby Atmos integrated.
With the new hardware, the Razer Phone 2 is now “louder and clearer “than its predecessor, which should significantly enhance the gaming experience.
The Razer Phone 2 continues to carry the true 120Hz frame rate that was first introduced through its predecessor, on the phone’s new 5.7-inch UltraMotion IGZO display.
Other upgrades to the Razer Phone 2 include:
- Wireless charging over the glass back
- Qualcomm QuickCharge 4+, which revives the battery from zero to 50 per cent in 30 minutes time
- Razer Chroma in its rear logo that changes its colour when there’s a notification. It also allows users to customise the lighting effects such as Static, Spectrum Cycling and Breathing.
- Battery capacity of 4,000 mAh to fulfil gamers with their all-day gaming and entertainment needs (last up to 10 hours at 120Hz)
- Optimised for mobile game titles like PUBG Mobile, Rival Crimson x Chaos, Marvel Future Fight, Guns of Boom, RuneScape, etc.
- Certified by Netflix for HDR video content and Dolby Surround 5.1 audio content
- IP67 dust and water resistant
- Works with LTE Gigabit networks
The Razer Phone 2 is priced at USD799 and will be available in the US, Europe and Asia Pacific markets.
Pre-order starts today.
Processor & Cooling:
- Qualcomm® SnapdragonTM 845 (2.80 GHz) with Adreno 630 GPU, Vapor Chamber Cooling
- 8 GB (LPDDR4X)
- 64 GB UFS
- SIM + micro SD slot (up to 1TB)
- 5.72-inch IGZO LCD 1440 x 2560 120 Hz
- Wide Color Gamut UltraMotion Technology
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Anti-Fingerprint Protection
- 12 MP AF f1.75 Wide with OIS
- 12 MP AF f2.6 Telephoto
- Dual PDAF (Phase detection Autofocus)
- Dual tone, dual LED flash
- Video: Up to 4K video recording with stereo audio
- 8 MP FF f2.0
- 1080p Video
- Stereo front-facing speakers
- Dual Amplifiers / Dolby Atmos Technology
- USB-C to 3.5 mm Audio Adapter with 24-bit DAC
- 4,000 mAh Li-Po battery
- Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+
- Wireless Fast Charging
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Dual-band (MIMO), Antennae 2×2
- Bluetooth 5.0
- RGB Illuminated Razer Chroma Logo
- GSM: 850/900/1800/1900
- WCDMA: 1/2/3/4/5/8
- FDD-LTE: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/18/19/20/26/28/29/30/32/66/71 TDD
- LTE: 38/39/40/41/48
- TD-SCDMA: 34/39
- LAA: 46
- 4×4 MIMO: 1/2/3/4/7/30/38/48/66
- Up to 1.2 Gbit/s (Cat18)
- Tested for IP67 dust and water resistance
- 158.5 mm x 78.99 mm x 8.5 mm
- Android 8.1